booting from usb pen drive

Jeff Layton jeffrey.b.layton at lmco.com
Mon Nov 24 09:07:52 EST 2003

Good morning!

   A friend of mine and I have been talking about this type
of thing for about a year now. Our idea was to put a base
install on a CF card and boot from it. Prices on CF aren't
too bad until you get to the high end (yes I know hard drives
are cheaper) and with some cluster distributions, you only need
128 Megs and you would have plenty of space (may be able
to get that down to 64 megs). Our goal behind using CF
cards was to eliminate hard drives from the nodes as a
possible source of downtime. One neat little gizmo we
found is a 7-in-1 reader which can also handle floppies:

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=170109

It's a little pricey, but you can have pretty much whatever
solid-state media is out there. It fits into a floppy bay. As
others have pointed out, if your motherboard can boot off
USB then this should work.

Enjoy!

Jeff

--