booting from odd sources was Re: booting from usb pen drive

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Mon Nov 24 08:17:46 EST 2003

On Sat, 2003-11-22 at 15:11, Jim Lux wrote:
> Along the same lines (oddly, I was wondering about just this idea (booting
> from USB)), one can get a IDE<>compact flash adapter for about $20 that
> mounts right on the motherboard (space permitting). One CAN boot off the CF
> drive (and you could use sneakernet to get the stuff on the drive in the
> first place).
I have booted the mini-ITX boards off Compact Flash and USB.
Its quite easy.
The secret though with the M1000 board is to completely power it off
first.
I have booted Tyan boards with a USB stick having Stresslinux on it.
http://www.stresslinux.org  Good to have in your toolkit - does CPU
burn, memtest, Bonnie++, lm_sensors