[OT] statistical calculations

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Mon Nov 24 07:13:57 EST 2003

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003, Martin WHEELER wrote:

> This is off-topic for this list, I know; but coming from my background
> (linguistics) I can't think of a better place to ask.
> It's probably not the usual size problem list-members deal with, but to
> me it feels like it.
>
> I have to process a group of several thousand acquired datasets, each
> containing well over one hundred numerical items; and eventually, I'm
> going to have to work with a statistician to pull some meaningful
> figures out of it all.
> In other words, the data have to be massaged in some pretty fancy ways.
>
> For various reasons outwith my control this is being done principally
> via a spreadsheet (wouldn't have been an obvious choice for me, but hey,
> I only know about words, not numbers).  Can anyone on this list used to
> doing this stuff point me towards a GPLed spreadsheet with built-in
> statistical functions?  or an add-in to gnumeric / OpenOffice etc.?
> (I believe such exist.)  Or maybe a library of GPLed spreadsheet macros?
> Please correct me if I'm barking up a wrong tree here.

Ask on the GSL (Gnu Scientific Library) list.  There have been mentions
on the list of people wrapping/encapsulating list functions in various
ways, but I can't remember offhand if any of them were inside a
spreadsheet per se.  It also depends to some extent on what you mean by
"built in statistical functions" -- GSL has the basic functions but is
not a package like R.  Which is the second thing you should probably
look at on: www.r-project.org.  R is a full-service stats suite with a
variety of interfaces including web -- hopefully somebody has wrapped it
up into a spreadsheet of some sort.

    rgb

> Any help appreciated,

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu