booting from usb pen drive

Jim Lux james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Sun Nov 23 18:26:40 EST 2003

It may be a virtual disk, but it's not a device with moving parts or one
that requires anywhere as much cooling or power as a real disk.
It also allows one to "power on boot" the cluster and be up and running
relatively quickly, even with a low bandwidth link among nodes (i.e.
wireless network), since one doesn't have to load the entire software image
over the net.

There are all manner of weird and wonderful adapters and solid state disk
emulators aimed at the industrial market, among others, but I was looking
for something very consumer/mass market (read cheap), since this is only
going to have to work in a lab environment, albeit, no moving parts and DC
supply.