How : up2date 128 nodes of Redhat 9 ?

Jag agrajag at dragaera.net
Sun Nov 23 02:09:12 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 23:41, Woo Chat Ming wrote:
> Dear beowulf friends,
>
>   We are a university in Hong Kong and we have a Redhat Linux 9
> beowulf cluster consisting of 128 nodes. All of them have real
> IP address and are connected to the Internet.
>   May I know how can I up2date all those nodes using a single
> command ?
>   Thanks in advance for your information.

RHN (https://rhn.redhat.com/) can handle this for you.  If you get all
your machines registered with RHN, you can log into the RHN webpage,
and with a few mouse clicks tell it what packages to update on them.
Your machines should be running the rhn client daemon, which will
regularly connect to RHN's servers and download the appropriate
updates.  up2date is a part of RHN.

If you're not up for paying RH for this service, I suggest looking into
yum (http://linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/).  With it you can setup a
local repository that you update with new updates from Red Hat.  You
then have a cronjob on all your machines to run yum, which will update
them off your local repository.

Jag