[OT] statistical calculations

Martin WHEELER mwheeler at startext.co.uk
Sat Nov 22 20:58:06 EST 2003

This is off-topic for this list, I know; but coming from my background
(linguistics) I can't think of a better place to ask.
It's probably not the usual size problem list-members deal with, but to
me it feels like it.

I have to process a group of several thousand acquired datasets, each
containing well over one hundred numerical items; and eventually, I'm
going to have to work with a statistician to pull some meaningful
figures out of it all.
In other words, the data have to be massaged in some pretty fancy ways.

For various reasons outwith my control this is being done principally
via a spreadsheet (wouldn't have been an obvious choice for me, but hey,
I only know about words, not numbers).  Can anyone on this list used to
doing this stuff point me towards a GPLed spreadsheet with built-in
statistical functions?  or an add-in to gnumeric / OpenOffice etc.?
(I believe such exist.)  Or maybe a library of GPLed spreadsheet macros?
Please correct me if I'm barking up a wrong tree here.

Any help appreciated,
mwheeler at startext.co.uk                http://www.startext.co.uk/mwheeler/