booting from usb pen drive

Mark Hahn hahn at
Sat Nov 22 17:07:57 EST 2003

> Depends if your mobo has a boot from usb option.

imagine that!

I wonder how bootable usb-keys work.  it would be pretty useless
if the bios only had enough smarts to load a bootsector and run it.
the bios must at least contain enough of a usb-block driver to let
it emulate a floppy disk.  if so, I'd expect linux to "just work"...

as long as you can somehow get even a bare kernel loaded, you're home free.
things like gui bootloaders or even initrd's are just icing ;)