booting from odd sources was Re: booting from usb pen drive

Jim Lux james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Sat Nov 22 09:11:27 EST 2003

Along the same lines (oddly, I was wondering about just this idea (booting
from USB)), one can get a IDE<>compact flash adapter for about $20 that
mounts right on the motherboard (space permitting). One CAN boot off the CF
drive (and you could use sneakernet to get the stuff on the drive in the
first place).  Check out http://www.mini-box.com/  As far as CF goes, places
like Best Buy are selling 64MB for $35, 256MB for $80-85, but I'm sure a bit
of research would turn it up cheaper (I was just looking through the inserts
in the morning paper).  Smart Media, Memory Sticks, and "secure digital
memory" appear to be in the same general price range but I don't know about
interfaces.

And another question.. has anyone done a network boot off a network adapter
attached to the USB port? Or, more to my precise need, has anyone done a
network boot over a wireless network adapter of any kind?  Do the wireless
adapters have the PXE or bootrom capability? Does the bios even allow you to
specify the "non-wired to the bus" adapaters as a boot device?  Is there
some fundamental chipset reason why they can't.

Jim Lux