RHEL Copyright Removal

Rocky McGaugh rocky at atipa.com
Fri Nov 21 11:25:56 EST 2003

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 neil.brown at syngenta.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We're having a bit of a dilemma here, as I'm sure many others are, about
> what to use as our standard Linux distro with the end of life of the Red Hat
> family. RHEL or SLES are looking favourites in terms of supportability, but
> of course there's the not insignificant problem of cost. The thought of
> having to pay at least $179 per server, with around 50 compute nodes, along
> with various other non-beowulf Linux servers doesn't appeal.
>
> I've been trying to find out how much effort it takes to strip the RH
> copyrighted bits out of RHEL and compile it for our own use and whether
> doing so reduces it's functionality a great deal. I've trawled the web and
> usenet, but not found much to write home about on the subject.
>
> Have any of you had experiences with such an exercise? Were they positive?
> How much effort was required? I believe ROCKS is based on RHEL 2.1 (not sure
> whether it's ES or AS) so it surely can't be that bad as a cluster oriented
> distro.

For 2.1, I am unsure if there are any binary releases out there or not.

For 3, there are a couple groups doing work with this. One is called White
Box Enterprise Linux and has binaries up at
http://www.beau.org/~jmorris/linux/whitebox/index.html .

Another group, www.caosity.org, is doing the same thing, but does not yet
have ISO's available. I am involved with this project and we expect to
have a testing release out in the next week or so.

I've also heard that ROCKS is putting together a rebuild for their own
use, but I was unable to find any information about it after a short
search.

I also know of several other groups that have internal projects to do
the same thing.

--
Rocky McGaugh
Atipa Technologies
rocky at atipatechnologies.com
rmcgaugh at atipa.com
1-785-841-9513 x3110
http://67.8450073/
perl -e 'print unpack(u, ".=W=W+F%T:7\!A+F-O;0H`");'