RHEL Copyright Removal

neil.brown at syngenta.com neil.brown at syngenta.com
Fri Nov 21 10:35:10 EST 2003

Hi all,

We're having a bit of a dilemma here, as I'm sure many others are, about
what to use as our standard Linux distro with the end of life of the Red Hat
family. RHEL or SLES are looking favourites in terms of supportability, but
of course there's the not insignificant problem of cost. The thought of
having to pay at least $179 per server, with around 50 compute nodes, along
with various other non-beowulf Linux servers doesn't appeal.

I've been trying to find out how much effort it takes to strip the RH
copyrighted bits out of RHEL and compile it for our own use and whether
doing so reduces it's functionality a great deal. I've trawled the web and
usenet, but not found much to write home about on the subject.

Have any of you had experiences with such an exercise? Were they positive?
How much effort was required? I believe ROCKS is based on RHEL 2.1 (not sure
whether it's ES or AS) so it surely can't be that bad as a cluster oriented
distro.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Neil