thermal sensing

Josip Loncaric josip at
Thu Nov 20 00:49:31 EST 2003

Geoff Galitz wrote:

> I need to put together a little system which can
> monitor the temperature of a machine room, and
> when a certain threshold is reached, trigger a
> program to run.

If cost must be minimized, how about a cheap $10 thermostat suitably
wired to a serial port DCD or CTS line?  This may provide on/off thermal
signaling (e.g. some UPS units use this method to signal power failures).

On a related note, Mark Hahn mentioned this back in June:

which could be useful in somewhat different situations...