thermal sensing

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Wed Nov 19 07:52:38 EST 2003

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Geoff Galitz wrote:

> G'day.
>
> I need to put together a little system which can
> monitor the temperature of a machine room, and
> when a certain threshold is reached, trigger a
> program to run.
>
> I can handle the software side, but I'm not  really
> sure where to begin looking on the hardware side.
> I've been to a few engineering web sites and catalogues
> but haven't really found just what I need in terms of
> hardware.  I am looking for a temperature sensor that
> can simply go high or low when the threshold is reached.
> Any recommendations?

There are a bunch of links on

  http://www.phy.duke.edu/brahma

for temperature sensors, and there is even a place where you can get a
"kit" of components and build your own.  Prices for read to run
solutions range from $100-200 on up to netbotz, which can be pretty
expensive but which have lots of fabulous features and sensors.

   rgb

> If there is already a device or howto out there on how to
> do this, that would be great too.
>
> Thanks,
> -geoff

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu