Heat, computers, etc.

Richard Walsh rbw at ahpcrc.org
Tue Nov 18 15:06:54 EST 2003

James Lux wrote:

>An interesting column from Robert X. Cringely talking about infrastructure
>issues, particularly power density in racked computers.
>
>http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20031106.html

Jim and All,

Another paper I have found useful on the same subject is amoung the ADC
white paper list (paper #46) at:

http://www.apc.com/tools/mytools/index.cfm?action=search&category=whitepaper

Search with power, cooling, and racks. It makes the point that the goal
should not be simply to endlessly reduce rack square footage because high
power density models have non-linear affects on ancillary power and cooling
costs both in terms of the square feet they occupy on their own and their
intrinsic cost.  ADC posits this begins to occur around 4 KW per rack.

The bottom line then (if you believe them) is that as per rack compute
density goes up per chip wattage (and general per node wattage) must go
down to retain the savings of a smaller foot print.

Regards,

rbw
#---------------------------------------------------
# Richard Walsh
# Project Manager, Cluster Computing, Computational
#                  Chemistry and Finance
# netASPx, Inc.
# 1200 Washington Ave. So.
# Minneapolis, MN 55415
# VOX:    612-337-3467
# FAX:    612-337-3400
# EMAIL:  rbw at networkcs.com, richard.walsh at netaspx.com
#         rbw at ahpcrc.org
#
#---------------------------------------------------
# "What you can do, or dream you can, begin it;
#  Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
#                                  -Goethe
# "Without mystery, there can be no authority."
#                                  -Charles DeGaulle
# Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit.
#                                  - Seneca