top500 list (was: opteron VS Itanium 2)

Dean Johnson dtj at uberh4x0r.org
Mon Nov 17 18:44:19 EST 2003

On Monday, November 17, 2003, at 04:31  PM, Lombard, David N wrote:

> From: canon at nersc.gov, Monday, November 17, 2003 11:38 AM
>> ...  At this point,
>> Big Mac is a one-of-a-kind.  The Apple crowd has never even
>> looked at HPC before this (probably because its typically a money
> loser).
>
> Actually, the "Apple crowd" had been making the rounds, at least the
> ISV
> rounds, at Cluster World in June of this year.  Don't know how long
> before that they were (certainly not at LW in Jan) or if their approach
> was a locality affect (again, LW in Jan in NYC).  Perhaps though, the
> cold^H^H^H^HFRIGID weather kept them away from LW at NYC (kudos for not
> being *that* dumb ;^)

Actually I think Apple folks have been sniffing around bioinformatics
for a while, but overall lacked in the floating point arena to make an
impact in other areas of HPC. You also have to keep in mind that it is
no longer just the "apple crowd". IBM is also sniffing around using the
PPC for HPC. The G5 blades that they are working on are pretty good
evidence of that.

I think they should hold the January LW in Minneapolis. That would
*definitely* indicate who is dedicated and who is not. ;-)

	-Dean