top500 list (was: opteron VS Itanium 2)

Joel Jaeggli joelja at
Mon Nov 17 18:28:34 EST 2003

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Lombard, David N wrote:

> From: canon at, Monday, November 17, 2003 11:38 AM
> > ...  At this point,
> > Big Mac is a one-of-a-kind.  The Apple crowd has never even
> > looked at HPC before this (probably because its typically a money
> loser).

they're had a cluster version of the xserve since the last major rev of
the platform...

making the rounds, and "actually releveant" to people building clusters
are kind of different things.
I have a mac (among several other machines) on my desk, and while it runs
linux fairly well, I'm not terribly convinced that my goals and those of
steve jobs/apple computer are terribly well aligned.

> Actually, the "Apple crowd" had been making the rounds, at least the ISV
> rounds, at Cluster World in June of this year.  Don't know how long
> before that they were (certainly not at LW in Jan) or if their approach
> was a locality affect (again, LW in Jan in NYC).  Perhaps though, the
> cold^H^H^H^HFRIGID weather kept them away from LW at NYC (kudos for not
> being *that* dumb ;^)

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at