top500 list (was: opteron VS Itanium 2)

Keith D. Underwood kdunder at sandia.gov
Mon Nov 17 11:53:25 EST 2003

> I am really curious to know why their are only
> getting 59% efficiency when Quadrics system with
> similar node counts is above 70%.  We know it
> isn't an issue with the node speed, because
> the X cluster ran at 80% efficiency with 128 nodes.
>
> Whats going on with the Infiniband?????

It's not just the Infiniband, a lot of it is the processor.  Actually,
it's the artificially inflated FLOPs of the processor.  Everyone who
believes that a G5 should be rated at 8 GFLOPs, please speak up...
Multiply-adds are great for some stuff, but not everything...  (LINPACK
happens to be among the stuff it's pretty good for).

					Keith