top500 list (was: opteron VS Itanium 2)

Mark Hahn hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca
Mon Nov 17 11:54:42 EST 2003

> > and their yield is around 59%.  not to mention the little bit
> > of missing ECC...
>
> I didn't follow, which "yield" are you refering to??

rmax/rpeak.  it's really the most interesting part of the list;
the actual ranking is just a matter of funding.

> > I'd like very much to know the actual prices and discounts for Big
> > Mac.
> > it's a shame this isn't required for Top500...
>
> The price is around 1100*3000*(discount for edu) + cost interconnect

3000 would be an impressive discount, since the list is around $5900.

> 5.2M $ is not too far away from the "actual price"...

it's massively discounted, and probably not repeatable.  it would be
nice to know the best-published prices, as well as what it would cost
to "fix" the ECC.

regards, mark hahn.