MSI KT3/4 AMD motherboards and 3C905CX-TXM NIC

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Nov 14 18:55:36 EST 2003

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Tony Travis wrote:

> 2.4.22-openmosix1 kernel under Red Hat 8.0 Linux (updated by apt-get
> from the Fedora Linux rmp repository).

It's not clear what part of Fedora you are using now. Are you using kudzu
from Fedora ? It appears to create some problems with 3C905 cards; there
are some bug reports in Red Hat's Bugzilla, but so far nothing concludent.
The only "solution" is to disable kudzu...

> Installing a single NIC is detected by kudzu, and it works correctly.

You can try deactivating kudzu ("chkconfig kudzu off") and run it manually
only when adding cards.

> The puzzling thing is that by selecting cards from a 'pool' of NIC's I
> bought for the cluster I can eventually get three that *will* work
> together.

That's interesting. And after you find these 3 cards that work together
they will _always_ work even after reboot

> I have an MSI KT4V-L, KT4AV-L and 23 KT3Ultra-2 motherboards - I've not
> [I put multiple NIC's in Gigabyte GA-7ZXE motherboards with the same

My guess is that it's something related to ACPI. GA-7ZXE didn't have
support it.

--
Bogdan Costescu

Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868