list managemnt issue

Angel Rivera angel at wolf.com
Thu Nov 13 20:52:45 EST 2003

Chris Samuel writes:

> On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 07:52 am, Angel Rivera wrote:
>
>> Don't wanna get RBL'd?  Keep your system tighened down. Someone does not
>> get into RBLs by keeping their system configured correctly.
>
> This is rapidly getting off-topic, but this needed addressing.
>
> People *can* get into blacklists without doing anything wrong, if the
> maintainers are overly broad with their brush (such as listing entire class-C
> networks at hosting companies) or because of malicious/clueless submission of
> reports.

It is off-topic but...

While I agree it can and has happen, I do not believe that it is that
common-at least in my experience.  I am one who believes in expaning blocks
to include large swaths if IP space where abuse it rampant. Our policy is we
LART 100% of the time for spam and block that IP. If the ISPs postmaster
and/or abuse does not work we submit them to rfc-ignorant.org (an RBL we
also use).  if they do nothing, we do nothing also and they stay blocked.
If we get another spam in the same C-equiv we block the entire C.  Heck, I
block entire countries.