Q: ATM Beowulf

Donald Becker becker at scyld.com
Wed Nov 12 12:23:52 EST 2003

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Robert G. Brown wrote:

[[ Long, informative text deleted. ]]

> Part of the problem with your question is that as you frame it nobody
> can answer it -- yet.  It requires detailed data.  If by "large" you
> mean a 10 MB input file (which is yeah, pretty large) and a 100 MB
> output file (ditto), well, that is roughly 1-2 seconds on a 100BT

Recalibrate your idea of "large".  We recently encountered an
application that was using PVFS with 50MB files over GbE.  With the PVFS
filesystem spread over 16 servers, that's only 3MB per machine, or 30-40
msec. of data transfer to permute the file contents.  The 50MB files
were too small to ignore the start-up overhead and get an accurate
performance baseline!

Donald Becker				becker at scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993