Q: ATM Beowulf

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Wed Nov 12 08:56:20 EST 2003

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Rafael Angel Garcia Leiva wrote:

> Does make sense to use LAN emulation over ATM for this kind of clusters? Has
> anyone experimented with ATM interconnections? Do you think is it
> cost-effective today (specially compared to Fast / Gigabit Ethernet)?

The list will know that a few years ago I was very enthusuastic
about ATM. I put in a leading edge ATM network at a hospital in
the UK for medical imaging. I was a proponent of using ATM for clustering.

These days, I would say the idea is not so good.
You get built-in Gigabit network interfaces on many motherboards,
and Gigabit switches are really cheap.