Q: ATM Beowulf

Rafael Angel Garcia Leiva angel.leiva at uam.es
Wed Nov 12 07:58:07 EST 2003

Hi everybody,

I am planning to build a cluster (around 300 nodes) for Monte-Carlo
simulation. I will run the same program, but with different input data files,
on each node. I expect that the computation time is much greater than
communication time, and that I will have to transfer large amount of (input
and output) data files from working nodes to the master server.

Does make sense to use LAN emulation over ATM for this kind of clusters? Has
anyone experimented with ATM interconnections? Do you think is it
cost-effective today (specially compared to Fast / Gigabit Ethernet)?

Thanks in advance.

--
Rafael Angel Garcia Leiva
Universidad Autonoma Madrid