Peculiar Problem :Any Help would be appreciated

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Tue Nov 11 19:07:16 EST 2003

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Ranjan S. Mehta wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a serial application, which allws me to hook into itself, using
> dynamically shared objects ( .so ).
>
> I wanted to use this .so file to do some parallel processing of the
> data, which I get from the application at run-time and then feed the
> results back.
>
> Now to add more complexity, I have to do it in Fortran !! ( my advisor
> needs it like that ).
>
> Has anyone done something like this.  If yes, any help is appreciated.
>
> If NO,  tell me why it cannot be done.
>
> Please comment,

I think you'll have to do a better job of describing your program's
expected flow, as I at least am very confused.

You are making a library?  With some sort of recursive call?  You have
to use Fortran (ooo, quel drag, mon!)?  What has this to do with
clusters?

I can think of lots of ways to implement lots of things "like" what you
may be trying to describe (but not in Fortran, which I took a vow never
to code in again -- unless of course somebody offers me obscene
quantities of money to do so:-).  Most of them don't need shared
libraries per se, which is one of the things I don't understand.  The
other is why beowulf list -- are you trying to invoke this recursion
across a cluster or something?  So that the "shared libraries" live on
different systems?

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu