Tyan S2880 (K8S) /S2885 (K8W) Opteron boards under Linux

Nate Faerber nfaerber at penguincomputing.com
Mon Nov 10 13:56:40 EST 2003

> that reminds me: has anyone done the gruntwork to figure out how to run
> a flash upgrade without a windows-formatted floppy and floppy drive?
> I'd actually feel fairly sanguine about pxe-booting to a faked floppy
> image that ran the installer...

You can use FreeDOS boot floppies if you are trying to free yourself
from MS.

Then if you want to free yourself from the floppy drive, try out MEMDISK
from H. Peter Anvin (SYSLINUX) with your floppy image.  Unfortunately,
we have found that the Phoenix Flash utility (phlash16.exe) has not been
working lately over a network with PXE/MEMDISK.  We haven't contacted H.
Peter about this, yet.	It could be a MEMDISK issue or it could be a
FreeDOS issue or maybe a bit of both.

If you don't mind burning tiny CDs for BIOS upgrades, another option
instead of floppy is CDR.  Try DOSEMU with your floppy image.

--
Nate Faerber, Engineer
Tel: 415-358-2666   Fax: 415-358-2646   Toll Free: 888-PENGUIN