Linux vs FreeBSD clusters

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Sun Nov 9 23:21:07 EST 2003

OK, so let's get back on-track.  I *am* a RH user for my systems, and
less likely to sway in he near future if Fedora pans out.  I went
(somewhat reluctantly) to RH for its RPM capability, back when dselect
had user interface problems (well, more precisely, its user interface
was user-hostile) and Slack's package management was tarballs with no
accountabilty.  SuSE didn't load reliably, and Mandrake hadn't started
snagging RedHat RPMS and repackaging them yet.  debian has always, in
its quest to be the "one pure linux" placed things where they weren't
easy for me to find.

I am a proponent of the OpenSource concept and movement, but I'm also
too busy to have to chase where one distro puts things, determine why
another doesn't clean up after itself, and finally have to fight almost
every one for some form of accountability in package management.  RedHat
offered the package management piece at a time when that's what was
needed to give me a little breathing room.

As one friend put it this weekend, RedHat is as quirky as all the other
distributions, but I seem to know where and what the quirks are.

The change to Fedora has me reexamining the potential for change.  It'd
be easiest for me, and my lab and other activities, to go to Mandrake.
SuSE has a good reputation with folks I know, work with, and trust.
Debian still hasn't decided where they're going to put pieces of the
code, and while the distro appears internally consistent (all the debian
installs I've worked with _worked_), I often have to customize things,
and I don't have time these days to go looking for where someone decided
they felt libs or modules belonged, in contravention to the rest of the
world.

I'm not so sure why you're so hard on RedHat.  I don't think I'd
characterize it as the COBOL (it's an acronym) of the 21st century.
Unless you're simply looking for a tag that usually raises the ire of
scientific programmers who might have had to take a COBOL course in
their academic past...

This tends to be a rather high-end group of computational expertise.  I
learn a lot here.  I've been known to contribute a bit in the past (back
when I got to do high performance computing instead of managing a pack
of grad students who now get the fun stuff).  We don't really need the
elitist plugs.  If you don't like RedHat, fine.  If someone else does,
fine.  Just recognize that you don't have to use my distro and I don't
have to use yours.

Exasperatedly yours,
Gerry

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.847.8578
Page: 979.228.0173