Linux vs FreeBSD clusters (was: how are the Redhat product changes affecting existing and future plans?)

Arthur H. Edwards edwardsa at plk.af.mil
Mon Nov 10 00:22:33 EST 2003

On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 11:00:18PM -0600, Gerry Creager N5JXS wrote:
> Until the Debian model allows me to find libs where I am used to looking
> for libs (and doesn't mandate /share over /usr/local) as well as a few
> more little nagging issues, I'm not going there.  I don't, honestly,
> have time for me to adapt, and to make my students adapt!
>
> One of my hopes for LSB was that I'd be able to go from distro to distro
> without some of those headaches.  Hasn't happened yet.
>
> gerry

It is interesting because one of the initial attractions for Debian
was its organization of libraries and configuration files. Afer RH, it
seemed totally transparent. I guess this is just a matter of personal
taste. I would be surprised, though, if after trying apt-get, you
could ever go back to the rpm model.

Art

--
Art Edwards