Linux vs FreeBSD clusters

Jan Schaumann jschauma at netmeister.org
Sat Nov 8 12:17:08 EST 2003

Mark Hahn <hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca> wrote:

> > I believe that NetBSD, even though is a very, very clean and clear OS
> > with high-quality code, is much neglected.  It deserves more attention
> > and is perfectly suitable for the task at end.
>
> there's lots of good stuff out there; I notice you didn't state that
> *BSD is actually cleaner/clearer/higher-quality than Linux though.

I'm not familiar enough with the Linux code to warrant such a statement.
I do know people who are and who would argue that such a statement has a
basis.

But this should probably be discussed off-list, if at all.

> > > is there a tangible, measurable benefit?
> >
> > Well, the same as mentioned in the FreeBSD paper, for example.  If all
>
> what paper is that?

The one posted here.

http://people.freebsd.org/~brooks/papers/bsdcon2003/

> and precisely what I'm looking for is any reason to go BSD for the
> majority who already have Linux.

s/BSD/Linux/
s/Linux/Solaris/

That's probably pretty much the same question posed before Linux was the
new bandwagon to jump.

*shrug*

-Jan

--
Wenn ich tot bin, mir soll mal Einer mit Auferstehung oder so
kommen, ich hau ihm eine rein! (Anonym)