Linux vs FreeBSD clusters (was: how are the Redhat product changes affecting existing and future plans?)

Arthur H. Edwards edwardsa at plk.af.mil
Fri Nov 7 17:50:14 EST 2003

On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 02:17:48PM -0500, Mark Hahn wrote:
> > of SGE to NetBSD, too.  I hope to expand the awareness of NetBSD in
> > particular for cluster usage in the near future.
>
> why?  I've never understood the evangelical aspect to *BSD
> (or for that matter Debian).  is there a tangible, measurable benefit?
> I'm not sure it's effective to advocate a niche OS/dist for
> ideological reasons or just plain personal preference...

It is true that Debian has a core of developers that are very
committed to a particular definition of free software, and this often
carries with it a surprisingly consistent set of philosophical
POVs. Nonetheless, Debian is remarkably stable and it has, by far, the
best package management system I have ever come across. I use it on
all my machines with great overall happiness. With RH moving toward
the Big-Bucks model of software, I will not be surprised if I see many
new Debian users over the next few months.

Art Edwards

Art Edwards
Senior Research Physicist
Air Force Research Laboratory