Linux vs FreeBSD clusters (was: how are the Redhat product changes affecting existing and future plans?)

Jan Schaumann jschauma at
Fri Nov 7 10:00:56 EST 2003

[Resending; this message was originally sent last night across the
various mailing lists, but beowulf at chokes on the gpg
signature. :-/ ]

Rayson Ho <raysonlogin at> wrote:
> A very good paper about building HPC clusters with FreeBSD:
> "Building a High-performance Computing Cluster Using FreeBSD"
> The author talked about hardware issues: KVM, BIOS redirection, CPU
> choices; and then talked about why he chose FreeBSD instead of Linux...
> he also did the port of GridEngine (SGE) to FreeBSD.
> Anyone tried to setup HPC clusters with *BSD??

I have a 30 node NetBSD/i386 cluster, and just recently created the
tech-cluster at mailing list.  Some people are working on a port
of SGE to NetBSD, too.  I hope to expand the awareness of NetBSD in
particular for cluster usage in the near future.

Some URLs of relevance:

Life," said Marvin, "don't talk to me about life."