Petabits/sec, and the like

John Hearns john.hearns at
Thu Nov 6 07:55:04 EST 2003

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003, Don Holmgren wrote:

> - event rate into L3:  250 to 1000 Hz
> - event size: 250 KB avg
> - accept rate: 72 Hz
> The accept rate translates into 18 MB/sec, written to mass storage.
(I was part of a LEP experiment, and we of course had much less data to
content with.
I still remember though in the days of low capacityB leased lines that I
ftp'd the first LEP event back to Glasgow Uni. I was soundly
rapped over the knuckles for tying up the whole line)A

> I'm not sure of LHC design numbers, but believe they are more like 1
> GB/sec to storage.
We are in the wrong game. Time to buy shares in a tape manufacturer
like 3M.