Petabits/sec, and the like

Eric Kuhnke eric at fnordsystems.com
Wed Nov 5 19:15:38 EST 2003

Re: Australian terabit project

The budget for routers alone will be astronomical...  Loading up a Juniper
T640 with OC-192 PICs isn't cheap!  To the best of my knowledge there are
submarine cables commercially available from Alcatel, Fujitsu/Siemens and
KDDI with capacities in the 640Gb range.  This requires not only multiple
OC-192 capable routers, but vastly expensive DWDM terminal equipment at
each end to insert multiple lambdas in fiber pairs.

20 singlemode fibre Rx/Tx pairs * 20 DWDM wavelengths per fiber pair *
real-world 9.2Gb/s per DWDM wavelength = one immense problem
processing/receiving at the destination of your data stream.

Currently, with the telecom capacity glut, the highest capacity
single-purpose cables laid in 2001 such as 360Atlantic (Boston USA to UK)
and Tyco Transatlantic are operating at 80Gb or less.

As a price reference, the FLAG group (recently purchased by Reliance
Telecom) spent something like $1.6 to $2.0 billion to build a worldwide
network four years ago with 80Gb capacity.