Petabits/sec, and the like

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Wed Nov 5 17:46:29 EST 2003

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003, Chris Samuel wrote:

> There are higher rates on the horizon, for instance the LOFAR (Low Frequency
> Array) telescope that's proposed will reportedly be delivering
> multi-terrabits a second from each detector, which will need to be processed
> on site.
>
> Part of a CSIRO webpage on the project, if it were to be located in Western
> Australia, says:
>
> http://www.atnf.csiro.au/projects/ska/general/lofar.html
>
> [quote]
>
> Specific technologies that would be developed for LOFAR in WA include:
>
>  * The construction of a 6 terabit/second optic-fibre link from the heart of
> inland WA to coastal Geraldton. This is a higher data-rate than systems in
> general use today. LOFAR would therefore represent a non-commercial test-bed
> for developing technologies.
>
> [/quote]

Ah, did I mention that building this sort of thing is a very important
jobs program for struggling telcom industries;-)?

That should be very exciting.  Very, very expensive, but very exciting.
Just mux/demuxing the data should be "interesting", as should finding
someplace to put it as it comes through.  Sort of like catching the
aforementioned metaphorical river as it flows and splitting it into lots
of small pipes that go into bottles that

just

 exactly

  fill

all without spilling a drop.  Unless it is all about peak transmission
times for small bundles of data, that is...

   rgb

> - --
>  Christopher Samuel - (03)9925 4751 - VPAC Systems & Network Admin
>  Victorian Partnership for Advanced Computing http://www.vpac.org/
>  Bldg 91, 110 Victoria Street, Carlton South, VIC 3053, Australia

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu