10 Pb/sec? Re: IB vs Myrinet

Eric Kuhnke eric at fnordsystems.com
Wed Nov 5 01:49:27 EST 2003

So now you have a van full of RAID arrays...  How do you load and unload
it?  It would be quite comical to run a spool of armored/weatherized
multimode fiber from the computer room, down the hallway, out the door and
into the parking lot.  :-)

Using the previously mentioned figure of 125TB in a truck, and a estimated
coast-to-coast driving time of 60 hours, this works out to a one-way
transfer rate of 2.08333 terabytes per hour, not counting the load and
unload time.