10 Pb/sec? Re: IB vs Myrinet

Andrew Latham lathama at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 4 23:46:07 EST 2003

speacking of big trucks (I almost hurt myself laughing).

did anyone ever use anything with the silk road technology.

I read about them making fiber adapters with internal robotics to grab the
fiber and automagicly align the laser for best use. It sounded cool a few years
ago, Just curious.

--- "Robert G. Brown" <rgb at phy.duke.edu> wrote:
> On 4 Nov 2003, Patrick Geoffray wrote:
>
> > But what about this twin photon spin stuff ? You send a photon, you keep
> > his twin brother and when you spin the second one, the first one spin
> > the same way a few thousand miles away....
>
> Oooo, don't get me started on EPR.  All I can say is no, no, and no.
>
> Can't describe relativistic phenomena with non-relativistic physics, and
> you can't "spin one photon one way" and do anything at all to the other
> thousands of miles away.
>
> Time reversal invariance.  Generalized master equation.  Quantum
> mechanics of closed systems is fully deterministic.  Measurement
> represents classical interference (all measurement apparati are
> classical and of indeterminate/stochastic phase and known only via a
> trace in the GME).
>
> Ahhh, my head is
> exploding....must...stop...thinking...about...quantum...measurement...theory.
>
> <splat>
>
> > So let's say that Myricom's roadmap goes up way higher than 10
> googooplexb/s
> > around 2030 :-)
>
> Let's see, if we drive a truck containing 125 terabyte sized RAID arrays
> through a big garage door fast enough to pass through in about one
> second...I guess that makes about a Pbps, right?  So you're wrong, Jim.
> We can accomplish this today, at least in a burst.  If we can afford a
> whole line of said trucks, we might even achieve it sustained...;-)
>
> All myricom needs is a bunch of trucks.  BIG trucks...:-)
>
>    rgb
>
> --
> Robert G. Brown	                       http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/
> Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
> Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
> Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu

=====
Andrew Latham - Penguin Loving, Moralist Agnostic.

What Is an agnostic? -  An agnostic thinks it impossible to know the truth
in matters such as, a god and the future with witch religions are concerned
with. Or, if not impossible, at least impossible at the present time.

LathamA.com - (lay-th-ham-eh) - lathama at lathama.com - lathama at yahoo.com