10 Pb/sec? Re: IB vs Myrinet

Jim Lux James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Nov 4 20:20:57 EST 2003

At 05:27 PM 11/4/2003 -0700, Keith D. Underwood wrote:

> > Say you can run a wire/fiber/whathaveyou at 10 Gb/sec (working in
> powers of
> > 10, here, and 100 Gb/sec is just too hard to envision..)
> >
> > 10 Pb/sec would be a million times faster (Peta = 1000 Tera = 1000,000
> > Giga, right?)
>
>Um: http://pr.fujitsu.com/en/news/2000/09/25.html
>or: http://www.siemens.com/page/1,3771,228164-1-999_4_0-0-,00.html
>
>Multiple Tb/s on a single fiber...
>
>Of course, I don't have any idea what they are going to do with the data
>when they get it there either ;-) (i.e. issues with memory, buses,
>processor speeds, etc.) Or, for that matter, how they are going to get
>that data out of any silicon chip...   But, I assume these are planned
>for after we are doing all optical computing, right?  ;-)

And I'll bet that fancy Wavelength Division Multiplexing (WDM) hardware
that Fujitsu used  is physically quite large to mux those 200 channels
together.  You'd run into a light time across the box problem.  That
nanosecond per foot adds up when you're sending bits at 10 Gbps.

James Lux, P.E.
Spacecraft Telecommunications Section
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena CA 91109