IB vs Myrinet

Greg Lindahl lindahl at keyresearch.com
Tue Nov 4 20:08:02 EST 2003

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 09:53:55AM -0500, Jeff Layton wrote:

>   I want to interject a comment here. In the past (recent and a few
> years back) we've had trouble with the open source MPI implementations
> with our codes. When we contacted them about our problem we got
> a luke warm (at best) response.

Jeff,

Whom did you contact, the people maintaining MPICH, or the people who
sold you the cluster? System integrators can do more than deliver
piles of parts, they can also support things. So there's more to life
than asking open source maintainers to fix something, or switching to a
closed-source commercial MPI vendor.

>   One of the hidden costs from my prospective, that allows us to
> compare interconnects, is a product of the cost of diagnosing problems,
> fixing problems, and how frequently the problems occur. We have
> experience with one high-speed interconnect in this regard and that
> number is very large.

Amen. Again, the front-line of interconnect support is generally the
system integrator. Myricom, for example, has a reseller model, in which
front-line support should be provided by your system integrator.

-- greg