10 Pb/sec? Re: IB vs Myrinet

Patrick Geoffray patrick at myri.com
Tue Nov 4 20:27:03 EST 2003

Hi Jim,

On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 19:01, Jim Lux wrote:
> >Myricom's roadmap goes up way higher than 10 Pb/s, if that makes you
> >feel more comfortable.

> Wait a minute here... You might run into some fundamental physics problems,
> especially when getting "way higher" than 10 Pb/sec... I'd like to see what
> you've paved that road map with, and make sure it doesn't ruin my shoes
> when I walk on it <grin>.

It supposed to wish you luck in some countries, right ? :-)

But what about this twin photon spin stuff ? You send a photon, you keep
his twin brother and when you spin the second one, the first one spin
the same way a few thousand miles away....

Seriously, it was a very ironical comment, I should have marked it that
way to be sure it would not be taken at the letter. I wrote Pb because I
don't know what there is after "Peta". I thought about googooplexb/s but
didn't know if it was valid.

The point is that having something in your roadmap has no more value
than what just ruined your shoes. Some vendors also have a public
roadmap and a private roadmap, you need an NDA to access the private
roadmap, either because you lie in the public roadmap or because the
private roadmap contains strategic choices that you don't want to share
with your competitors.

So let's say that Myricom's roadmap goes up way higher than 10 googooplexb/s
around 2030 :-)

Patrick
---

Patrick Geoffray