IB vs Myrinet

Craig Tierney ctierney at hpti.com
Tue Nov 4 10:00:12 EST 2003

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 10:19:48PM -0500, Joey Sims wrote:
> I believe IB is a much better interconnect technology than Myrinet
> period.  Plus, you don't have to deal with Myricom.
>
> IB is about to find major traction in this industry and Myricom will not
> have the guns to stop it.  As adoption rates increase the price will
> decrease quite rapidly.  I've been working with Mellanox and Topspin
> both using Mellanox chips but, their product positioning is different.
> The difference between the two being that Topspin offers a more "value
> added" flavor of Mellanox silicon with various hardware tweaks and a
> more robust software package.
>
> It depends on how you're looking at the cost of IB.  First of all, it's
> comparative to Myrinet in "cost per port".  Not too long ago, Myrinet
> was higher in price than IB is today and they haven't came out with
> anything "new" in forever.  Well except a PCI-X version when PCI Express
> is around the corner.  Myricom has a lot of installations worldwide and
> they are highly credible without a doubt but, this industry moves very
> fast and new things are not a new thing.  At 3x the performance of
> Myrinet, "comparative" is still a better value.  IB has many different
> options such as bridging between IB, GbE, or FC so you could hang your
> storage boxes off the IB switch without much hassle.

Comparative is very relative.  Pricing I have seen does not show that.
You state 3x performance, that might be true in bandwidth for the PCIX-D
card but not the E-card.  The E-card does saturate the PCIX slot.
For both cards, latency is better on Myrinet than on IB.  For some that
is more important than bandwidth.  Also, Myrinet is going to release new
software (MX) that reduces the latency futher.

Show me a very large IB system that scales well.  VaTech does not
count.  I hope they figure that out though.  I like the IB specs and
their roadmap, but it has to work as well.

Craig

Craig Tierney (ctierney at hpti.com)