IB vs Myrinet

Roger L. Smith roger at ERC.MsState.Edu
Tue Nov 4 09:34:56 EST 2003

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Bill Broadley wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 10:19:48PM -0500, Joey Sims wrote:
>
> > IB is about to find major traction in this industry and Myricom will
not

> I've heard this statement for 2 years running, not that it couldn't
> become true.

Just look at all of the recent press releases for IB clusters being built.
The hardware is finally actually available, and a lot of HPC clusters are
starting to be built with it.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I have three engineers on-site today
from an IB vendor working with me to install a 192 node diskless IB
cluster.

> > Up to 10GB/sec is fairly fat today.  The roadmap for IB has this
> > interconnect technology ratcheted up way higher than 10GB.
>
> Roadmaps are great, easy, and cheap.  I'm most interested in
> what I can build a cluster with today.
>
> Do you mean 10 GB/sec = 10 Gigabytes/sec or 10 Gigabits/sec?  In what
> conditions?  Where can I download a linux compatible driver?  Linux
> compatible MPI implementation?  Linux/AMD64 drivers/MPI implementations?

It's 10 gigabits per second (theoretical).  Linux drivers are available
from all of the vendors.  Certain vendors (including the one I purchased
my IB from) provide open-source drivers.

There are a few MPI implementations, there are commercial versions MPI/Pro
and ChaMPIon from MPI Software Technology, Inc.  MVAPICH is available from
OSC, and I'm hearing that there may be a version of LAM in the near
future.

I'm not sure of the status of the AMD64 drivers, although I know of at
least one AMD64 cluster currently being built with IB, so at least some
level of support exists.

| Roger L. Smith                        Phone: 662-325-3625               |
| Sr. Systems Administrator             FAX:   662-325-7692               |
| roger at ERC.MsState.Edu                 http://WWW.ERC.MsState.Edu/~roger |
|                       Mississippi State University                      |