IB vs Myrinet

Nicholas Henke henken at seas.upenn.edu
Tue Nov 4 08:31:39 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 22:50, Dean Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 21:19, Joey Sims wrote:
> > I believe IB is a much better interconnect technology than Myrinet
> > period.  Plus, you don't have to deal with Myricom.
> >

> Hmmm, all my dealings with Myricom have been excellent. We had a frame
> failure right before a holiday and they happily cross-shipped a
> replacement. We were back in business very quickly. All our questions of
> support have been answered quickly and accurately.

Same here -- the support has been great. We did run into a problem where
they were short on line cards to send as replacements, but they did keep
us posted and let us know what was going on.

BTW -- did no one notice that the statement was 'comparable prices per
port' but that you had to _pay_ for the mpi implementation? I feel alot
better knowing there is a free and open source implementation of MPI
over gm from LAM and mpich.

Nic