Freebee RH Releases...

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Mon Nov 3 18:27:50 EST 2003

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Michael Worsham wrote:

> Does this mean that we will all have to using WS or ES version of RedHat,
> thus getting ripped a bit on support and updates? Anyone have a cluster
> running on anything else non-RH based and any details for how to do it?

Fedora, fedora, fedora.

  http://fedora.redhat.com/

AFAICT, this is going to de facto be "Red Hat 10" (except that one can
probably not say that because of trademark issues and so forth), but
with more "community involvement".  Community involvement that will
probably be a GOOD thing, by the way.

Fedora will come pre-yummified at the core and will have RH engineers
continuing to be heavily involved.  This is only sensible as I expect
fedora to become the core of RH's development cycle, as they aren't
going to be able to offer "rawhide" of any sort at RHE prices.  However,
with the community really participating, I also don't expect fedora to
be in any sense "alpha" or "beta" versions of RHE -- more like RHL,
reasonably stable, reasonably supported, but don't expect to be able to
just call RH and demand to talk to a systems engineer and get help.

Which, by the way, one doesn't really do now.

So nobody RHish panic, just start looking into fedora, maybe join its
list(s).

BTW, I expect there to be opteron support in fedora pretty soon as well.
There better be; I'm getting a bunch of them...;-)

   rgb

> -- Michael

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu