Turn on nodes through the network

Donald Becker becker at scyld.com
Mon Nov 3 17:36:16 EST 2003

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Mark Hahn wrote:

> > 1.5 support.  That generally requires a Baseboard Management Controller
> > (BMC) on the motherboard, which adds $25-$150 to the price.
>
> I'd very much appreciate seeing an example of this.  or do you mean
> "BMC adds $25-150 to the price of an already gold-plated system"?

I've seen a quote of +$26 to populate the BMC chip a board that
supported it.  Or more precisely, -$26 to delete the chip from the
standard config.  While not low-end boards, this was a motherboard
definitely in the commodity range.

Daughtercard implementations costs at the high end of the range,
$70-$150, if you can find them.

> as a concrete example, Tyan's S2723 is a reasonable example of a board
> you might find in a cluster.  IPMI/BMC is an option via the qlogic
> zircon, but I have never found a real price for it - one vendor quoted
> me a little under $Cdn 1000 for the daughtercard, which is just plain
> ridiculous for a <$500 motherboard.

That's means "we don't know how much it costs, but for $1K we'll find
out".
Much like the old VGA feature connector or IRDA header, a BMC header is
worthless.  The only way you'll get a BMC is when one is packaged and
priced (and tested) with the motherboard.  The Zircon chip is easily most
common controller, but it seems that the firmware must be tweaked for
each implementation.

Donald Becker				becker at scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993