Turn on nodes through the network

Don Holmgren djholm at fnal.gov
Mon Nov 3 14:29:40 EST 2003

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Mark Hahn wrote:

> > 1.5 support.  That generally requires a Baseboard Management Controller
> > (BMC) on the motherboard, which adds $25-$150 to the price.
>
> I'd very much appreciate seeing an example of this.  or do you mean
> "BMC adds $25-150 to the price of an already gold-plated system"?
>
> as a concrete example, Tyan's S2723 is a reasonable example of a board
> you might find in a cluster.  IPMI/BMC is an option via the qlogic
> zircon, but I have never found a real price for it - one vendor quoted
> me a little under $Cdn 1000 for the daughtercard, which is just plain
> ridiculous for a <$500 motherboard.
>
> thanks, mark hahn.

On clusters we've built with Supermicro E7500 or E7501 chipset
motherboards (P4DPE, X5DPE), which I believe are roughly equivalent to
the Tyan S2723 in features and price, there's an IPMI/BMC option card
based on the Agilent BMC available.  We've paid between $90 and $100 for
these cards, depending on volume.

I've not purchased Intel motherboards in quantity, but from doing a
quick web search, it looks like the incremental price between boards
without (SE7501CW2) and with (SE7501BR2) IPMI is no more than $150.

Don Holmgren