Turn on nodes through the network

Mark Hahn hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca
Mon Nov 3 13:08:29 EST 2003

> 1.5 support.  That generally requires a Baseboard Management Controller
> (BMC) on the motherboard, which adds $25-$150 to the price.

I'd very much appreciate seeing an example of this.  or do you mean
"BMC adds $25-150 to the price of an already gold-plated system"?

as a concrete example, Tyan's S2723 is a reasonable example of a board
you might find in a cluster.  IPMI/BMC is an option via the qlogic
zircon, but I have never found a real price for it - one vendor quoted
me a little under $Cdn 1000 for the daughtercard, which is just plain
ridiculous for a <$500 motherboard.

thanks, mark hahn.