Turn on nodes through the network

Donald Becker becker at scyld.com
Mon Nov 3 11:50:42 EST 2003

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Mathias Brito wrote:

> I finish my cluster beowulf, and first of all, I wold
> like to thanks everybody that help me through this
> mailing list, now I`m sure that I`ll have a lot of
> other problems in this new phase. And i already have
> one. I would like to know Howto boot my
> machines(nodes) using the network, I would like that
> turning on my master node the slave nodes
> automatically wake. What can I do? or, where can I
> find more information?

We developed the driver support (needed with some cards) and ether-wake
code to do that several years ago:
   http://www.scyld.com/expert/wake-on-lan.html

This requires both Wake-on-LAN hardware and soft-power-off, but most
modern machines have that.

A more reliable and sophisticated approach is to use systems with IPMI
1.5 support.  That generally requires a Baseboard Management Controller
(BMC) on the motherboard, which adds $25-$150 to the price.

We have demoed software that hooks into the load monitoring to
automatically bring up more cluster nodes as needed.  That takes
advantage of our ability to boot nodes in only a few seconds, but you
might still consider booting your nodes on demand.

Donald Becker				becker at scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993