Cluster Poll Results (tangent into OS choices)

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Sat Nov 1 10:40:24 EST 2003

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, Joel Jaeggli wrote:

> > Who says you have to pay 1024*$792 ? Why not only 1 license ? AFAIK you are may use that binary image as you like inside your cluster since it is covered by GPL, but you can't
> > claim support from RH for more than one of the systems.
>
> read the liscsense agreement for you redhat enterprise disks...

I think his point is that there is some untested legal ground here for
GPL distributions, "license agreement" or not.  As in it remains to be
seen whether it is possible to create a license agreement for a GPL or
mostly-GPL distribution that restricts the redistribution of the binary
images.  To quote from the preamble:

  When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not
  price.  Our General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that you
  have the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and charge for
  this service if you wish), that you receive source code or can get it
  if you want it, that you can change the software or use pieces of it
  in new free programs; and that you know you can do these things.

Note the phrase "free software".  Note also the various inheritance
clauses.  I'm not a lawyer; I don't know how this would ultimately
untangle in a court if someone chose to just ignore RH's license
agreement and install things as they wished, but I'm sure we'll
eventually find out...;-)

   rgb

> > Regards,
> > Steffen

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu