top500 list (was: opteron VS Itanium 2)

Jeff Layton jeffrey.b.layton at lmco.com
Mon Nov 17 13:07:14 EST 2003

Mark Hahn wrote:

> Big

> interconnect
> > >
> > > 3000 would be an impressive discount, since the list is around $5900.
> > >

> http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0161922
>

> when I view that page, it lists $3k for the dual 2.0 with 512M,
> which is exactly what store.apple.com says.
>
> the VT config is with 8GB per box, which store.apple.com says will
> list at $7949!  wow, that has to be higher than last time I looked...

Wow! Apple is charging $5k to go to 8 Gigs! What a rip!
It's just plain-jane DDR memory that you can get anywhere.
It's not even ECC!

If you don't mind, I'm cc-ing this to the beowulf list.

So, Mark's numbers are correct. So my 'adjusted' estimate is,

Nodes: 1100 x $8k = $8.8 million
IB network: $1.65 million
Cisco Crap^h^h^h^hNetwork: $300k
Racks: $138k