top500 list (was: opteron VS Itanium 2)

Mark Hahn hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca
Mon Nov 17 09:33:51 EST 2003

> Sorry Greg, top500 list came out and you lost!

sigh.  Apple bought a benchmark.  does this make Apple products better?

> BigMac G5 (aka "X")         (2200 CPUs) - 10.3 TFlops

OK, so we already know that their pricing disclosures are ah,
"optimistic".  (nodes probably cost >6k apiece, not half that)
and their yield is around 59%.  not to mention the little bit
of missing ECC...

actually, I'd love to know what their yield is if they had only
4GB per node - almost certainly lower.

> Lightning (LANL Opteron)    (2816 CPUs) -  8.1 TFlops

yield is 72%.

> Apple BigMac is number 3, while the Opteron cluster is
> number 6.

for the billionth time: rmax is just a matter of how much money
you have.  rmax/rpeak is the only part of top500 that matters.

I'd like very much to know the actual prices and discounts for Big Mac.
it's a shame this isn't required for Top500...