list managemnt issue

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at
Thu Nov 13 21:43:03 EST 2003

Count to 10.  Don't respond initially with what you wanted to say...
Okay, I've followed the advice.

Reread the initial portion of my e-mail.  I *DO* keep my system tight.
The last known compromise was a buffer overflow in apache, exploited
before it was announced by apache or bugtraq.  And fixed appropriately
as soon as a patch was available (within hours).  Because of system
configs and safeguards, no spam emitted from the site.  The one previous
to that was caused by a buffer overflow exploit in wuftpd.  That
represents the last time wuftpd ran on one of my systems.  It also
resulted in forensics running back thru 3 other compromised systems in
the US, and to 2 originating machines in Germany.  And some detentions
(I never got final word on arrests/convictions, if any).

I've not had a documented case of an open relay.  I've not been
appropriately accused of having spam transit any of my systems.  I
perform periodic security audits.  I no longer run honey-pots and
tarpits because of an Attorney General's opinion on their legality, but
I have.

Angel Rivera wrote:
> Gerry Creager N5JXS writes:
>> Can someone *NOT* blackhole anyone?
>> I'm sorry Joel.  This is a hot-button.  I've found myself blackholed
>> in the past because I was on an ISDN modem, on DSL, from a University,
>> and once for an open relay... that I didn't run.
>> Getting out of the blackhole list is a PITA, and sometimes unachievable.
>> I've firmly decided that blackhole/blacklisting spammers/potential
>> spammers/someone I just don't like/etc. isn't the answer.  I've had
>> considerable success with graylisting, but that's not the problem here.
>> What I guess I'm asking here is for the listadmin to unceremoniously
>> unsubscribe * for much the same reason you asked for
>> them to be blackholed.
>> Blacklist/blackhole implementations are, IMO, broken at best, and a
>> number of the administrators of same I've dealt with are pompous
>> juveniles who can't interact with a human when they make a mistake.
> Knee jerk reactions are never good-no matter what side of the RBL
> question you are on.
> I love RBLs.  They do exactly what they are supposed to do, block abuse
> of my systems from the incompetent (at best), or deliberate abusive (at
> worse) without having to add more of a burden to my and my users. Also,
> I can with a two line entry control access to all my boxes.
> Don't wanna get RBL'd?  Keep your system tighened down. Someone does not
> get into RBLs by keeping their system configured correctly.

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.847.8578
Page: 979.228.0173