Linux vs FreeBSD clusters

Mike Davis jmdavis at mail2.vcu.edu
Sat Nov 8 12:44:28 EST 2003

Mark,

It seems that your are trying to logically argue that people who
evangelize whatever form of linux/unix are being zealots. However, you
avoid providing us with any logical reasons for this assertion.

So,

Debian works, as do Suse and Red Hat. Debian has a better package system
than either Suse or RH.

I haven't seen a press release from Debian telling me that Novels
worldwide support network makes Debian a better OS. I still can't figure
out what CNA's and CNE's have to do with linux, but I guess a tech
person is a tech person as far as a CEO is concerned. In addition, I
haven't seen a Debian press release saying that they were going to stop
development of the current release model and create the "New Improved
Enterpise Server" which they will happily sell you at $300-$1500 per
year for maintenance and support that you don't use but you must buy to
download patches for BUGS and errors. Hmm.

So, Suse is trying to convince me that people who know nothing about
linux are good support and RH is trying to convince me that I should pay
for something that I don't use so that I may download patches. Seems to
me that the Debianista's (as you refer to them) may be on to something.

On the OpenBSD side, it works. No questions, no doubts. I've used it
over the years in a variety of roles ranging from Firewall and packet
filters, to servers, and to research type machines.

Mike Davis